Saturday, June 16, 2007

Busy week


My week has been busy, in large part because an old problem with gastro-enteritis has reared it ugly head, and I have spent the better part of the last 2 weeks feeling quite sick to my stomach, and having almost anything I eat come back on me. Saw the doctor (no huge help), and then remembered what a previous GP had done when I went through this: a diet of innocuous foods, phased in over a period of several weeks. This a) allowed the inflamation/irritation to heal, and b) a way to discover which foods I had developed an intolerance to.

The drill is nothing but plain rice, jello and plain water for 4 to 5 days, until I am no longer experiencing the symptoms of severe gastric distress. Then phase in new foods every other day, and watch for the signs. (It was this process that taught Dr. Lynn and I that sweet peppers should not make up any part of my diet: within 6 hours of eating them I would get very sick.) The hardest thing to eschew is my morning coffee, but not having coffee in the morning beats feeling ill all day long, and requiring long naps just to escape the nausea.

Got my 2 portable air conditioners (one for each floor) delivered in the middle of the week. They are currently sitting like great hulking beasts in my hallway. I cannot move them or install them: the job requires two people. I think I will have to impose on almost-ex if I am ever going to get them installed. And installation in my office is imperative: yesterday the office temperature (not humidity corrected) was 38. And it is not even summer yet.

I am geting a lot of nonsense banking done: transferring accounts, topping up GICs and RRSP. Also other assorted bookeeping and paperwork tasks done. Dead boring, but necessary.

Mr. Car Alarm seems to have finally figured it out (praise be).

Queen's alumni reception at the Speaker's (Arts'68) residence at Kingsmere tomorrow afternoon. I always love these events: a lot of good catching up gets done.

No comments: