Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thursday night with the Cousins


A last minute desperation call from my second cousin (2 free tickets to a Sens playoff game) had me spending Thursday night babysitting his 3 daughters (2, 4 and 5). Kaitlyn (4) had fallen on the front stairs that morning and had a split lip. Ashley (5) was having the time of her life outdoors (17C--It was gorgeous weather). Lindsay (2) is getting very good at naming parts of the body (she really likes saying elbow, probably because that is what comes out most distinctly).

I love being with those girls, and the more often I babysit them or play with them at family events, the more fascinated I become with watching how they process the world. You can see the exploration and experimentation going on behind their eyes as they develop a picture of how the world works. They are stunning examples of the scientific method in action (repeated experimentation to test hypotheses of how things work).

I must admit I also really like the fact that they are always very excited to see me. I have enough of an ego to thrill when one of the girls asks me to pick them up, or hold their hand as we are walking along, and their father says 'Wow...that's amazing.'

I am sorry about one thing about that evening: Kaitlyn presented me with a lovely train she had made out of an egg carton when I arrived and I left it on top of their fridge. Still, I have errands in that neck of Ottawa later today, so I will just nip over to Geoff' and Jane's and pick up my train.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: