Saturday, July 21, 2007

Betty has been savaged by a dog


I can't really say much now except the basics. As best as the duty vet can tell, Betty has a punctured lung, a broken pelvis, and some pretty serious puncture wounds. There are some things on the Xrays that he cannot read. Betty is staying at the hospital and being medicated for pain until the surgeon can come in and have a look over the Xrays and give Betty another exam.

I am a touch past distraught, and thinking massively evil thoughts about the person who brought an unleashed dog into an area where he was told there was a tethered cat. The dog attacked immediately, with the owner standing off to the side about 15 to 20 feet away saying 'Stop. No, Rufus.'. Others pulled the dog off of Betty. And the owner did not leash his dog at that point, and before I could get Betty out of the bush where he was hiding, the dog attacked again. Others had to tell the owner to restrain his dog: even after the second attack he made no attempt at restraining the animal.

It is going to be several hours before I can think of things milder than a tactical nuclear strike for that dog owner.

I will update on Betty once I get a status report from the clinic tomorrow morning.

I need to go and get the blood off my clothes before the stains set.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH NO!

What I'm thinking about for the owner involves a machete and a pair of pliers.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry..Hang the owner, and then shoot him..!

rameikis said...

That machete and pliers thing sounds interesting ... I WANT DETAILS!!!! (Would it by any chance also involve a big dill pickle.)

No word on Betty yet. I called the hospital, but the doctor had not completed his morning evaluations yet. I should hear something in the next hour or so.