Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dance fools, dance!

Well, the die is cast. Our subscriptions for the 2007-2008 dance series have been finalized:

Series C - NAC Studio:


  • Crystal Pite/Kidd Pivot: Lost Action
  • Tedd Robinson/10 Gates Dancing Inc.: REDD
  • Ballet de Lorraine: La Nuit des interprètes
Series B - NAC Theatre:

  • Diavolo Dance Theater
  • Ballet du Grand Théatre de Genève: Compelling Contemporary Choreography: Para-Dice, Selon désir, Loin
  • Rosas: Fase, four movements to the music of Steve Reich
  • Emanuel Gat Dance: The Rite of Spring, Winter Voyage
  • Black Grace Akram Khan + The National Ballet of China
And a designer series (make up your own).

- from Series A - Southam Hall

  • Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan: Wild Cursive
  • Lizt Alfonso Danza Cub

- from the Canril Ballet Series - Southam Hall

  • Royal Winnipeg Ballet: The Passion of Carmen
  • Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo: Le Songe (A Midsummer Night's Dream)

One of the performances in Series A for next year is by 'Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal'. We went over the program and made our decisions in the NAC lobby (over the chocolate chip cookies that was the special reception for the end of season) immediately following a performance by "Les Grand Ballet" that left both of us significantly less than impressed (for the second time in a row with this company), and the thought of seeing them again at that particular point in time was very unpalatable. We also feel that the Series A selections are based more on what is most likely to appeal to the broadest audiences, and we have found that our preferences over the years have tended towards the less mainstream.

So we decided to mess around with our standard practice of A, B and C subscriptions. (Given our reasoning, I am still a bit stunned that I was able to talk almost-ex into a couple of classical ballet performances. The clincher was that whenever we have seen the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the quality of the dancing was blisteringly spectacular, and we can enjoy almost anything if the dancing is really, really good.)

Almost-ex's girlfriend will be joining us for Series B. I think almost-ex was a little leery of suggesting it, quite adorably so. I would really like her, I was told. And although we have only met a couple of times, I do like her, and I am really looking forward to having her there next year.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That first photo is very freaky. I like it. Hmm I should start looking into Montreal dance options. I didn't get to see as many in TO that I would have liked but I chalk that up to my own laziness. I did get to see Peggy Baker though.